Skip to main content

How to make a kebab just like the Germans do.

I went on a stag do recently to Munich, and the kebab shop next to the Hofbrauhaus came massively recommended to my by a lad I work with.

After a very heavy couple of nights, myself and the stag, Phill, needed some proper food in us, so we went to this Kebab shop.

It turned out to be a great move. Imagine being hungover, then tucking into this.

Here's the one I bought from the shop

For some reason, maybe it was the hunger, I watched the man make the kebab, and this never happens, but in true 'monkey see monkey do' fashion, the way he made a kebab was seared photgraphically into my memory.

So, here's how it's done:

Ingredients

Chicken, shredded into 0.5cm^2 x 3cm strips
Chicken tikka paste
Wraps
Lettuce, finely shredded
Red cabbage, finely shredded
Cheese, grated
Tomatoes, sliced.

Method

1. Make sure all of the ingredients are prepared as described in the ingredients section.
2. Put your chicken in a bowl and mix it up with a teaspoon or two of the tikka paste
3. Fry the chicken off in a pan until it's cooked throughout.
4. Lay out the tin foil landscape to you and place a wrap in the middle of each one.
5. Sprinkle a good amount of lettuce and cabbage on the wraps.
6. Have your oven at 200C, put the chicken from the frying pan onto a foil-covered baking tray. Put the chicken into the top of the oven. You want the smaller edges of the chicken to be crispy.
7. Once chicken is ready and the paste has dried up, put on top of the cabbage and lettuce. Quickly follow that with cheese, then onions, then tomatoes.
DON'T BE SHY WITH INGREDIENTS
8. Fold the wrap over. All you want is the ends to be able to touch. Now take the closest part of the foil, and drag it over so that no ingredients can escape.
9. Now press! Squeeze the wrap and press down, making sure that the ingredients are spread evenly and the kebab is in a straight line along its long side.
10. Fold the ends over.
11. About 3/4 up the kebab,.gently rip the foil so it rips in a straight line around the kebab, exposing a bit you can wrap your mouth around!

Here's the one I made, from that recipe:
Here's the one I made. Not a bad effort ey!


If you'd prefer to watch me make it on YouTube, watch this video.


Also, here's the place on the map if you're ever in Munich and want to try it first hand! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make the most of ideas as they hit you.

1. Write down the basics and whole point of the idea as soon as possible.
Ideas can pass through your mind like a signal. Most will hit you seemingly out of nowhere, so you need to capture the outlines and as much detail while the “signal” is still strong.

Picture credit: New 1lluminati On Flickr
That way, when you find time to work on it, you can trace your steps and work out what you were thinking at the time, and your mind understands the context much more deeply than a simple sentence/word that you may go back to.



I use Evernote to take the first jottings down, then make a Google Drive folder for the next step.



Google Drive allows you to collect files of all sort of format in one place and you can access it from most devices.

2. Make sure it doesn't already exist! There is nothing more gutting than coming up with an awesome idea, putting some work into it and thinking you've come up with something that could change the world/your life in some way, only to hear someone passing by …

How The "Illuminati" Tried to Recruit Me

One of my work friends, Craig, has a sideline job selling cars online and over the phone.

As you do when following people that you hope will follow you back, like your photos and buy from you, one of the people he followed inboxed Craig to see if he wanted to join the illuminati. Craig found it funny and decided to post it in the work lad's group chat. 
But I thought to myself - what if he was for real? What if I could also be part of the Illuminati, just like Jay Z? So, I sought out the username from Craig's screenshot. Here's a picture of his profile. He seems like he does pretty well, dressed in a suit, meeting people in offices, going to weird looking ceremonies. This is real, I thought to myself. I'm going to become rich and famous overnight just by being online buddies with this guy! Feeling like that one-button-tap was my ticket, I tapped it. And now I was following Zackmarkd! Almost instantly, as if he had his phone in his hand when I clicked that follow button, he go…

What Qatar was like in 2006

Why I was there.  In 2006, after having just finished secondary school, I moved to Qatar. With my parents, obviously. How many 16 year olds can afford to piss off to another country just like that? My dad found an oil and gas job that was worth the move, so that's what happened.

Initially, I was upset about leaving my life in Sunny Middlesbrough, but as I landed and felt how hot it was, I rapidly got over it. I could tell from the moment we stepped off the plane at 5am with the sun just on its way over the horizon that I was in for an adventure.

I went through my first year of sixth form there.


Here's a picture that I took of our "Common Room", a doubled-up, air conditioned portacabin at Doha College. I took that photo,

Surroundings Although I haven't been in years, I imagine they're still building and building and building. Malls, Stadia, huge office towers and banks, even "old-style" marketplaces (known as souqs).

Back then, the city was a buildi…